Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Boishakhi Mela"



The first day of Bengali New year is called 'Pohela Boishakh'. 'Pohela' means the first and 'Boishakh' is the first month of Bengali year. Every year it is celebrated on 14 April. This year in Sydney, Bangladeshi community organized a fair called 'Boishakhi Mela', to celebrate this occasion. 'Mela' means fair. It took place at Olympic park at Homebush, Sydney. I went to this fair along with my husband. It was really a great experience.

At first we took a cab from President Avenue, Kogarah at 6.30 pm and reached at Olympic Park at 7.15 pm. My husband bought two entry tickets for us. When we entered the park, I was felling so excited as well as surprised. The park was full of Bangladesh people. It was like a small Bangladesh appeared in Sydney. There were also some people from other countries like Australia, India, China etc. People were wearing Bangladeshi traditional dresses. Most of the Men were wearing 'Panjabi' and women were wearing 'Shari'. In the middle of the park there was a stage where Bangladeshi singers were performing. After entering in to the park we went near to the stage. We listen to some Bangladeshi popular musics. After that we went to visit the stalls of different goods from Bangladesh. In these stalls there were traditional dresses from Bangladesh like 'Shalwar-kamiz', 'Shari' etc. I bought some Tips (Bindis) form a stall.

While we were walking through the park, we met many friends of my husband. Surprisingly I also found out one of my high-school friend in this Mela. We met after six years. I did not know that she is living in Australia. At that time we were so happy. After that we visited some food stalls. We take 'Fuchka' and 'Luchi-Kebab'. The foods were really delicious. After finishing our foods we heard an announcement of a fashion show. Again we went in-front of the stage. Here we enjoyed a fantastic fashion show. The models were wearing our traditional dresses. Some of them were wearing the traditional bridal dresses of Bangladesh. They were looking gorgeous. After the fashion show finished, Nakul Kumar, a Bangladeshi singer started his performance. When he was singing the crowd started cheering him. It was amazing. Nakul Kumar's performance finished at 9.45 pm. After that it was the time for the fireworks. It started at 9.50 pm. It last for 15 minutes. I loved it. After the fireworks my husband and me along with one of our family friends went to Bengali restaurant and had dinner. After that we reached at our home by 11.00 pm.

This is one of the festivals which Bangladesh people like to celebrate most. Even if I was not in my country, I was very lucky that I celebrated this event here. I can never forget my first time experience of 'Pohela Boishakh' in Australia.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day you had! The fair certainly seems bright, colourful and entertining! I love the photos of the yummy food!

    ReplyDelete